Tuesday, December 22, 2009

1995 BMW 740i 6-Speed

I got excited when I saw the title of this eBay listing. I used to have a '99 740i Sport and I really liked the car. It's the kind of car that I'd really like to try and get again. In Europe it was available with a broader range of motors than in the US, and you could get an optional Manual Transmission. Not much information exists about fitting the manual trans to a US car, and in listings I've looked at as recently as last week there aren't a lot of 6-speed cars for sale in Europe either. This is a rare car.


The 1995 740i has the smaller M60 V8 with less torque than the later cars. It also had that tricky Nikasil block. The 1999-2001 models are "facelifted" and I think they look a lot nicer, plus the available Sport Package stiffens up the suspension and adds more supportive seats, in addition to the upgraded M62 motor. The seller has advertised this car as having an "M7 Kit" inside and out, which appears to be the application of ///M stickers on the trunk, grille, and seats, tacky projector headlights, late model tail lights and wheels, and an ///M shift knob and pedal covers.


The car is fairly high mileage, at 155k. The seller recommends that the buyer gets a tune-up, and also recommends swapping the engine to a V12... Doesn't sound encouraging to me, but whatever. He also says the paint is original but he replaced the rear bumper. The trunk doesn't seem to shut properly.


The title bothers me. The seller says he bought it from someone in Chicago, who imported it from Germany via Canada. It's still titled in Illinois as a '94, and the title was issued in '98. The seller says he bought it four years ago, but apparently never titled it? Maybe he's been driving on dealer plates, but he doesn't mention being a dealer. Also, if that title has been signed over to a buyer on the back, you're gonna have big problems. I had that happen to me once, a seller screwed up and wrote his name as buyer on a car he never titled himself, and we had to track down the previous owner from many years prior and beg her to get a duplicate title. Luckilly I tracked her down and she agreed to help out. Pain in the butt. From then on, I like to see cars titled to their owners.


Find it here on eBay in Fairfax, VA, starting at $0.99 with No Reserve.

UPDATE: This car sold with a surprisingly high bid of $8,000.

3 comments:

  1. Along with the crooked trunk lid, the front looks kinda high, steering column shroud is loose, and what's in the airbag pocket? Newspaper? (looks like it's not packed full of airbag)

    Nice blog, great coverage of unusual cars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, glad you're enjoying it.

    I hate being so critical of a car that I want to like a lot, but I couldn't NOT write about this car, and I couldn't fawn over it, either. Too many little things and missing details. At least the price is right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great car! Too bad the history is sketchy.
    It's great to see it in this country, though.

    Nice find!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete